Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hear My Rant

DP 08 GXP

Question

ok i usually dont rant about much but today this guy for some reason got under my skin....i run a detailing business on the side and have a craigslist ad, business cards, etc.....i get a call from a potential customer who wants a jeep liberty and nissan altima done....i quote him my prices which are $160 for complete detail on the liberty...$120 for exterior and $80 for interior...for the altima its $130 full detail....exterior only is $90 and interior only is $50....his response is can i get a deal if i do both? my response was that i call local places that detail for their prices and they charge around $180 for what i do on a car so im $50 cheaper then they are plus in my opinion i put on better products and results are better.....from the way he responded i doubt he calls back....it just kills me people dont understand how much time and effort goes into a true full detail.....there is my rant which i had to get off my chest....thanks for reading :willy:

:iagree:

I definitely think that explaining everything you do will help.. its should help them realize what you're actually doing with their car..

forgot that part....i explained the paint correction part along with the interior process....i think it comes down to people will see a wash wax job the same as a real detail like those of us on here

Its similar to being a mechanic (I am not one) but maybe you charge "x" amount of dollars to do "y" and a local mechanic charges lower then what you charge but doesnt go "the extra mile" to maybe put new grease on slide pins on your brakes. However if you bring it to a different mechanic he will grease your slide pins but will charge more. It all comes down to "You get what you pay for" IMHO

Don't let the guy bother you. I was told in a seminar by a Harvard Professor, that you never know unless you ask. Just be confident in your price and skill, and stand firm. You may also explain what is involved in your detail. When I did detailing in college, I had a pad by the phone that I wrote down everything involved in my detail. I would then tell them what each process would do to enhance the detail. I found the general public thinks of a detail as a hand wash, with no idea what is actually involved in a "Complete Detail". I believe knowledge is power, teach the customer what is involved and they maybe more inclined to pay your asking price. Just my 2 cents, no disrespect, just my experience.

full detail is wash, clay, wash, paint correction, polishing, wax of choice between MSW or americana, glaze, engine cleaning and dressing, wheel wells cleaning and dressing, windows, carpet sweeping and cleaning, cleaning of dash and door panels then dressing, leather cleaning and conditioning...i put around 6-7 hours into cars and 8-9 into trucks suvs and vans..i live in ottawa..if you look at my other posts of customers cars i have done you will see the work i put into their cars

Archived