Customer Service 866.965.0400

New 'Vette to me, and I want to start over.

Silver Bullet

Question

I posted this in the detailing forum over at smokinvette, and after 56 views, received not a single feedback. I thought I'd seek advice here.

I just got my 2004 a couple months ago, and I would like to start over on it. By that I mean I want to completely remove any sealers or wax that the previous owner might have used on it, clay bar it, then apply sealer and wax.

I was told the first thing I should do is wash it with Dawn dishwashing soap to remove the old wax and/or sealers. Is this sound advice, or is there a better way to accomplish this task.

The steps I plan to follow are here. Note I will be doing everything by hand... no machines. Advice on changing the plan or agreement where it's a sound plan would be appreciated.

1. Wash car, removing old wax.

2. Clay Bar the car.

3. Apply Brilliant Glaze

4. Apply Americana Carnauba

It has been garage kept and under a cover nearly all of it's life. (I just turned 3,000 on the odo) There is no oxidation or anything like that, so I suspect Revive is not necessary. Is Revive meant to be applied by hand, or is it really meant to be used with a Porter Cable? If Revive were to be used, would I be correct thinking it should go between steps two and three?

I'm confused about steps 3 and 4. I find YouTubes telling me to apply the glaze first then the Americana, others telling me to put the glaze on top of the Americana.

I don't have any swirls or scratches, so I suspect Swirl and Haze Remover is not indicated. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is really meant to be used with a buffer rather than by hand.

Likewise. I presume Fine Machine Polish and Machine Super Wax are meant for machine application, not by hand. Is that correct?

Thanks, <!-- / message --><!-- --><!-- sig -->

In regards to washing with Dawn, that should accomplish what you're looking for. There have been a few threads on here debating whether to use Dawn or an isopropyl alcohol wipedown, but here's a quote from Dylan that sums things up:

Let me settle this.

Myth - "Dish soap will dry out your paint." It can't and it won't. The only concern here is the rubber, plastic, and vinyl trim. As Dawn is a degreaser to an extent it has a drying effect on these surfaces. Even then it would take excessive and irresponsible use to even BEGIN to have an impact on your trim. I'm talking allowing full strength dawn to dry on the trim... the concern about what Dawn is capable of doing to your car is greatly over exaggerated based on a lot of assumptions and bad information.

Now something to consider, UV rays, acid rain, and all other manner of things are bombarding these surfaces as well on a daily basis and have a much larger impact on their lifespan. As such you should be conditioning your trim, door seals, and other surfaces with a Super VRT on a regular basis anyways. A good, complete, detail will involve dressing your trim so if you're going to dress these areas after washing with dawn theres very little concern about 'drying out'.

If you're going to neglect the trim and not condition it, the combination of Dawn and exposure to the elements will greatly shorten its life, but none of us here are going to neglect dressing trim are we? If you are we'll be sending a mob with pitchforks and torches to find you. :D

Personally, I feel Dawn makes an excellent strip wash. You're generally only going to need to strip the finish 1 or 2 times a year anyways so use it in those circumstances and you'll be fine. We have considered coming up with a strip wash product of our own, but its not really on the short list of to do items at the moment so don't hold your breath unless something changes.

IPA is ultimately more effective at stripping but far less efficient. If you think about it the dawn washing is rolling a strip wash into a step you would have performed anyways - the initial wash. Wiping down with IPA is an entire added step to your detail and adding steps ads more time to your work and takes more enjoyment out (IMO)

I personally prefer an IPA wipe down for spot corrections. A door gets a scuff or scratch and I want to fix it. I get some rogue water spots from a splash on the truck on a hot day that won't come off without polishing. Things of that nature I can use IPA to strip ONE PANEL, correct it, then reapply protection. If I'm stripping the entire car an IPA wipe down just isn't efficient enough for my taste. Its tedious and time consuming versus just washing the car as you normally would, but switching your car soap for Dawn.

I'll also add consider adding a little APC to your Dawn wash mixture when stripping... remember APC is a degreaser like dawn and will help strip wax more effectively.

One last thing to consider... I've seen a lot of people go from Dawn wash and clay, then do another wash right behind that with Car Shampoo before really cleaning the buckets and wash pads completely. Getting dawn concentrate completely out of your wash media and bucket should be a big step in your process. Even small amounts of it will be degrading your wax if not removed from your wash pads so spend some serious time cleaning wash pads and buckets after a dawn wash.

Revive is intended to be used by hand, not by machine, and actually seems to work best as a pre-wax cleaner. If your paint is in as good condition as you say it is, it may not be absolutely necessary, but it could help. If you already have it, I'd suggest using it. I personally use it even after correcting my finish with the machine polishes, before I apply any waxes. Swirl and Haze Remover can be applied by hand, but like you guessed, it really is most effective when used with a machine. The over/under with the Brilliant Glaze has also been discussed a lot, and it can go either way. The Brilliant Glaze has better longevity though when applied under the Americana, since it is sealed in by the wax, and this is the most popular method. Not trying to confuse things, but the discontinued Brilliant Spray Glaze was normally applied over the wax. You're correct in thinking Fine Machine Polish and Machine Super Wax are meant for machines. The MSW can be applied by hand in small areas such as wheels, but it's hard to get a thin even coating on larger areas, which is why the Porter Cable is recommended. Hope this answers everything.

Looks like Chris already beat me to it. I guess that's what I get for trying to find a quote that I knew was out there. Oh well, at least now you have two people telling you the same thing. :thumbsup:

If you want to know exactly how good your paint is, put you camera on macro and use a flash and take a picture up close of it. As the Junkman says... "A flash shows all"

Welcome to AF :cheers:

Wow! Talk about rapid response. Thanks, all.

When Dylan says "I'll also add consider adding a little APC to your Dawn wash mixture when stripping... remember APC is a degreaser like dawn and will help strip wax more effectively." What is APC?

Chewy,

I guess ISPA is bulk isopropyl alcohol?

Modified "Plan":

1. Wash car with Dawn, removing old wax.

2. Quick 2nd wash with Adams shampoo

3. Clay Bar the car.

4. Apply Revive

5. Apply Brilliant Glaze

6. Apply Americana Carnauba

Wow! Talk about rapid response. Thanks, all.

When Dylan says "I'll also add consider adding a little APC to your Dawn wash mixture when stripping... remember APC is a degreaser like dawn and will help strip wax more effectively." What is APC?

All Purpose Cleaner

Don't forget to to remove the product after you apply it! lol J/K

Also apply APW (Americana Paste Wax) to two panels and remove. DO NOT apply to the whole car and remove.

These guys will get you lined out, lots of very talented detailers here

that is very true.. and you will always get a quick response being that they are plentiful...

btw Welcome!

Yeah Rich... I already did the interior about a month ago. Leather Cleaner followed by Leather Conditioner. I'll probably do it again when I do this in depth detailing.

I also have hit the wheel wells twice with the Undercarriage Spray.

FedEx is delivering the clay, glaze, and Americana next Friday. I'm waiting for a tracking number on the S&HR, Revive, and Buttery wax.

I've just been using Windex on the windows. I don't have any of the Adam's window stuff yet.

About the weather stripping... I've seen the advice to use silicon spray on it, and I've seen advice to use VRT. Anyone have suggestions on the best way to keep the weather stripping soft and pliable?

Dick

:welcomebanner: Dick

Your Modified "Plan"sounds good:

3. Clay Bar the car.

4. Apply Revive

5. Apply Brilliant Glaze

What about throwing in a coat of Machine Super Wax in there after the revive, which gives you that extra protection?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

:welcomebanner: Dick

Your Modified "Plan"sounds good:

3. Clay Bar the car.

4. Apply Revive

5. Apply Brilliant Glaze

What about throwing in a coat of Machine Super Wax in there after the Revive, which gives you that extra protection?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

What about throwing in a coat of Machine Super Wax in there after the revive, which gives you that extra protection?

I assume this is why:

Note I will be doing everything by hand... no machines.

Guest Jay.B

:welcomebanner: to AF!!!

And something that I didn't see pointed out yet:

You will also want to coat any plastic or rubber weather stripping with some VRT (Vinyl, Rubber, & Tire dressing) to keep it from drying out. When you wash with the Dawn it is going to strip any protectant from the plastic and rubber trim on your vehicle as well. If you put the VRT on before you use the Revive or Americana, then it will also help removal if you happen to get any polish or wax on the weather stripping.

You will also want to coat any plastic or rubber weather stripping with some VRT (Vinyl, Rubber, & Tire dressing) to keep it from drying out. When you wash with the Dawn it is going to strip any protectant from the plastic and rubber trim on your vehicle as well. If you put the VRT on before you use the Revive or Americana, then it will also help removal if you happen to get any polish or wax on the weather stripping.

10-4...

2nd modification of "the plan"...

3. Clay Bar the car and windows.

4. Super VRT vinyl, plastic, rubber, tires, etc.

5. Apply Revive

6. Apply Brilliant Glaze

7. Apply Americana Carnauba

What about throwing in a coat of Machine Super Wax in there after the revive, which gives you that extra protection?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

LDM is right, I will be doing everything by hand... no machines. I've got a bum left arm, and I think trying to use a power buffer with one hand would be a one way ticket to a ruined paint job :thumbsup:

I appreciate all the advice and the warm welcome, folks.

10-4...

2nd modification of "the plan"...

3. Clay Bar the car and windows.

5. Apply Revive

6. Apply Brilliant Glaze

If your going to wash it again, do it after you clay it. That way it will wash off any bits of Detail spray/clay that gets in the nooks and cranies.

One warning - Corvette clear coats are very hard. I don't know how much Revive will help. But since you only have 3000 miles on it, you might be OK.

Have Fun :thumbsup:

If your going to wash it again, do it after you clay it. That way it will wash off any bits of Detail spray/clay that gets in the nooks and cranies.

Makes perfect sense... 2nd wash after the clay bar.

leading to Plan modification #3:

2. Clay Bar the car and windows.

3. Quick 2nd wash with Adams shampoo, then dry.

5. Apply Revive

6. Apply Brilliant Glaze

One warning - Corvette clear coats are very hard. I don't know how much Revive will help. But since you only have 3000 miles on it, you might be OK.

Not wanting to remove or damage any of the clear coat is the major reason I originally thought I would skip the Revive step. Is there any danger of doing that, and how much pressure or elbow grease should be used with Revive?

Revive isn't going to do any damage to the clear. If anything it will remove the really fine swirls. You don't need a ton a muscle with it either.

If I remember right, the Revive is more of a cleaner than a polish. Any micro maring left from claying will be removed by the Revive.

Archived