Customer Service 866.965.0400

fire extinguisher residue

killr68

Question

hey guys....i have a question....unfortunately i had to use my in car fire suppression device in my race car over the weekend. its a halon system. when activated, it puts the fire out and when the air clears it leaves no residue. However, the track officials did not use halon under the hood of my car which left a yellow residue on it.

my question is, is there anything i can use to remove all the residue without harming any of the components on the motor that wasnt damaged by the fire ? im thinking that all purpose cleaner would work.....i also heard that WD40 works also but would have to be followed by another cleaner to get the WD 40 off. any thoughts ? THANKS !!

Oh yea, tape off any electrical components if possible, or at least be very carefull rinsing

Good luck,

Flash :patriot:

im pulling the motor out and going to replace all of the wiring anyway , most of it, which isnt alot, was burnt. water pump, electric fans is all the wiring thats under the hood. other than plug wires and fuel lines. its the motor in my signature.... not alot under there....just alot of aluminum and stainless.

i havent touched it with anything yet. ill vacuum up what i can before i put any water to it.....thanks for the tip. i would have sprayed it with water first !!

it happened in the burnout area, as soon as i started the burnout the fuel line to the pressure gauge came off shooting fuel on the headers, as soon as i saw it, i hit the fire bottle. it put some of it out but the track crew finished putting it out with whatever was in their extinguishers leaving a huge mess. it burned some fuel lines, starter wires, plug wires, cap, the belt on the jesel and vacuum pump, and probably some stuff i cant see as of yet. a little bubbling on the hood and scoop but nothing major. im just glad it didnt happen down track at 150 mph !! that would have been really bad !

THANKS for the reply, i kind of thought APC but wasnt sure if there was anything else that would work. APC is safe on aluminum correct ?

Vacuum as much of it up as you can, the powder is extremely corrosive when wet so you want to get as much of it off dry as possible. Damp cloth to dab it away until most all of the residue is gone before going after it with cleaners and large quantities of water. Sorry for you luck, I know dry chem can be a pig to clean up.

hey guys....i have a question....unfortunately i had to use my in car fire suppression device in my race car over the weekend. its a halon system. when activated, it puts the fire out and when the air clears it leaves no residue. However, the track officials did not use halon under the hood of my car which left a yellow residue on it.

my question is, is there anything i can use to remove all the residue without harming any of the components on the motor that wasnt damaged by the fire ? im thinking that all purpose cleaner would work.....i also heard that WD40 works also but would have to be followed by another cleaner to get the WD 40 off. any thoughts ? THANKS !!

1) APC

2) Varies size brushes and rags

3) Garden Hose

Sorry to here of your misfortune. Is the rest of the car o.k?

Archived