Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tinting Tail Lights

Frid

Question

Have a buddy wanting me to tint his tail lights tomorrow. I will be sanding them before I use the VHT NightShades and after I clear coat them. I have used the ultimate compound from Meguiars before but wondering what hand/ PC polish will be good to use after sanding the clear (if I need to) and which you would prefer.

Thanks.

• Answers 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With people not paying attention while texting and talking on their cell phones, I cannot understand for the sake of logic why you guys would want to tint your tail lights. I want my tail lights to be as bright as possible for that fool who is not being attentive. Besides, if someone rams you in the rear and can prove that your lights are not the correct brightness when stopping, you may end up sharing in the blame of the accident.

Unfortunately junkman it doesnt matter blacked or not. Recently i was working, had one of two lanes blocked by another tw vehicle behind me, a set of 6 cones behind him, non tinted tail lights flashers going, set of 5 warning beacons on my bucket truck 2 on his. and yet this lady still was texting drove right through the cones and his van(15ft behing me) into me while i was 30 ft in the air and she never hit the brakes. The only reason her car left skids was because the engine block was slammed into her tire. went for a little ride in my bucket but luckily everyone involled was fine. 2 totaled cars and some damage done to 3/4 inch steel that i ve never seen plus an almost wrecked high line pole. Proof that its not the warning lights but user error always causing the issue

:help:Yeah running into cops is even more rediculous than running into me. Not only do you have to be dumb but if you dont feel dumb at first the officer will and should make you feel dumber when he tazers you and hauls you to jail. i feel this is completely good treatment since if i had the power to do so i would. Most of the time when i am lit up on the side of the road doing my work on the utility poles it seams people almost speed up or get dumber. I;m just doing my my job and would love to go home to my wife and kids(basset hounds). So plz to everyone reading this go slow when approaching utility trucks.

Those tail lights are awesome cool! What [/u]tail light is that Junkman2008? and how much?, and also hows the installation, did you do it yourself?

Those are the original Halo LED tail lights. Richard at Corvette Enhancements sell then for around $300 (if that price hasn't went down). I've had mine for a few years. The install is as simple as it gets. I did install mine but I do all the work on my Vette.

Finally finished up today. Put one more heavy coat of clear on last night and then used the PC with SHR. Had it set to 1000 OPMs. Turned out very nice.

tails.jpg

Kinda hard to see but guess it resized the photo. But there are nice and glossy now.

Have a buddy wanting me to tint his tail lights tomorrow. I will be sanding them before I use the VHT NightShades and after I clear coat them. I have used the ultimate compound from Meguiars before but wondering what hand/ PC polish will be good to use after sanding the clear (if I need to) and which you would prefer.

Thanks.

SHR will take down 2500 grit. SSHR will work faster, but only use if SHR can't do it.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

SHR will take down 2500 grit. SSHR will work faster, but only use if SHR can't do it.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

:iagree: If you have spot pads with those polishes, it will go even faster

I have tinted most of my lights as well. I used the meguiars ultimate compound to get them shiny. But now the tail lights have started to lose their "deep shine". What should we use to keep the look? I feel like the paint is to "thin" to use anything more than the Fine Polish.

Just put the last coat of clear on about 15minutes ago. Gonna let them dry for awhile and then lightly sand them and put add SHR. Will post some pics if they look good lol.

Will do. Looks like the last coat of clear is getting dry. Little fuzzy looking but wetsanding again and adam's polish will do the trick. really looks like its gonna be a good outcome. Might have to move them from inside the garage to somewhere else cause I'm getting pretty "HI" downstairs in the house atm lol.

I'm not sure if it's the photo, but they don't look overly shiny to me... Am I seeing something wrong. Not trying to be a jerk or anything. I know it took a lot of time to do these.

I wonder if more polishing would get them to pop more?

Maybe. what did you use to tint them? I did everything I could but still they dont shine. Have no idea, just used SHR. I have a pair of smoked LED's in route for my truck.

Mine were done by Jons tinted tails. He just uses a candy black and top coats with automotive clear.

Using SHR with an orange pad and anything less than 5000opm won't do anything to really speak of. Try doing them mounted at 5000-6000opm.

Just make sure the clear is fully cured first.

Chris

Archived