Customer Service 866.965.0400

Got my new PC and did a test

hankdog101

Question

Does the product you use really make a difference or is it the user or both? I just ordered the Adams SHR, FMP and Superwax but prior to getting this I did the following. It's a black mustang. I used a clay bar on the area first then used the Meguiars Swirl X with a Porter Cable 7424XP with a Orange pad, followed by the Meguiars Deep crystal polish with a white pad and Meguiars gold class liquid wax with a gray pad. Used about 5-6 passes with each. The Swirl X took out the swirls in the paint but I noticed it left behind very small swirls. After all the steps above I took the car out in the sun and I can see these very small swirls. I tried to take pictures of them but they won't show up on camera. You have to get kind of close to the paint to see them but I feel like it's holding the high gloss look back. Seems like I took out the main swirls marks but added these smaller one. Any idea ?

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No reason other than cost. I should have known. Being a photographer I only buy the Canon "L" series lens. It's the only way to get a clear sharp picture. A cheap lens just don't cut it. Why I didn't apply this princible to the polish the is set to go on my Shelby GT500, I have no idea. Now that my head is out (insert phrase if you want) I'm patiently waiting for my Adams pads and polish to arrive. Look for follow ups this weekend with my results from your products.

no need to beat yourself up.. we've all done this before seeing the light..

Joe,

Are you using our pads? Reason I ask is pad colors are not consistent across all lines. Also you're using over the counter products, ones not necessarily designed for optimal performance by machine - technique is a VERY large part of the equation but quality products are also very important.

Is there a particular reason you're using the polishes you are versus Adam's stuff?

I'm using the Cobra pads that came with the kit. Your pads and backing plate should be here tomorrow. Plan is to do another test area with all your products. Hopefully that get's to where I want.

You need to use Adam's Pad & Products if you want the best results. They are designed to complement each other, the testing has already been done for you!:thumbsup:

I was sensing a Band for using the "M" word, but he then saved his behind by saying...

I'm using the Cobra pads that came with the kit. Your pads and backing plate should be here tomorrow. Plan is to do another test area with all your products. Hopefully that get's to where I want.

Thanks for not kicking me out. So I guess I have some micro marring from the "M" stuff and pad selection. Will the SHR and Adams pads take care of this for me?

Sure, but it is like anything else, a little practice makes perfect :thumbsup:

the SHR followed by FMP will cure your problems , follow that by a wax, buttery or Americana for best results.

you bought over the counter, uhh, yeah its not made for optium results. In fact rarely will you find megs proline at a over the counter retailer. ANY WHO

yes the products you use makes a difference, all of us here have experienced Adams quality & performance & would recommend adams before others. However if you must use other's products then at least use the professional grade stuff, it will save you money in the long run.:thumbsup:

if you r using adams pads its easy as the pad color matches the polish color.

I only have experience with one other pad supplier/maker, other than adams so i not the best for other companies pads :(

I bet Dylan could tell you best how to work with the pads you have, shoot him a pm (he's first to reply on the thread).

Joe,

Is there a particular reason you're using the polishes you are versus Adam's stuff?

No reason other than cost. I should have known. Being a photographer I only buy the Canon "L" series lens. It's the only way to get a clear sharp picture. A cheap lens just don't cut it. Why I didn't apply this princible to the polish the is set to go on my Shelby GT500, I have no idea. Now that my head is out (insert phrase if you want) I'm patiently waiting for my Adams pads and polish to arrive. Look for follow ups this weekend with my results from your products.

If you don't start from the bottom like most of us with the garbage products sold at the VatoZone or wherever, then you will never be able to appreciate both the performance and value of Adam's Polishes. Throw in the SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, and they managed to keep this Mook using and buying products for a long time now.

Heck, only a couple more items and I will have the whole collection!

:iagree:

And watch the instructional video's a few times, you will get the results you are looking for :thumbsup:

I just watched every video. Had watched the PC one a few times already but just spent last couple hours watching all of them. Really good stuff. Now I want ot buy more stuff :) One question I have is I noticed during the swirl removal, polishing and waxing process that the surface of the car is never wiped down until the end. Why is that? Is there no need to wipe it down between processes?

I just watched every video. Had watched the PC one a few times already but just spent last couple hours watching all of them. Really good stuff. Now I want ot buy more stuff :) One question I have is I noticed during the swirl removal, polishing and waxing process that the surface of the car is never wiped down until the end. Why is that? Is there no need to wipe it down between processes?

It's not required but many do it to check progress, I'm one of the ones who does wipe after every stage.

But no matter which way you do it you would always wipe down after the final polishing. You have to wipe the surface clean prior to waxing.

Last question for tonight. This is from a Junkman post commenting on someone using the following: 9. msw w/ black pad on pc

10. wipe down w/ mf towel, wait 12-24 hours, wipe down again

11. brilliant glaze

12. americana

Junkman says: "MSW gives you protection. Americana gives you depth and protection. Frankly, that's enough! "

So I ordered SHR, FMP, and MSW the other day. Do I need the glaze and Americana to after MSW? Is that to much product layered on itself? And can Adams open a store front in MO so I don't have to keep paying FedEx to ship all my stuff :)

... Do I need the glaze and Americana to after MSW? Is that to much product layered on itself?

For a novice to the product line, that's way too much to be layering.

As you read from a previous post of mine, MSW will give you the longest lasting protection. Americana will give you protection too, just not as long as MSW, which is a sealant. Americana may also add depth to your shine. BG is a product that is used to hide minor imperfections in the paint. If you remove all of the damage from your paint, there is absolutely no reason to put glaze on your paint. Glaze is what professional detailers use to make your paint appear flawless, when in reality the damage is still there. It's just filled in with glaze and will eventually wash off. By the way, MSW has the capability to do some minor hiding of damage also.

Now to answer your question about the micro swirls that you saw after the usage of SwirlX and the orange pad. That combination is used to remove swirls, but in doing so it leaves the micro swirls that you saw. That is the trade off when using a swirl removing compound, even one that may or may not be all that good. The way most product lines are engineered, you follow a aggressive compound with a less aggressive compound. The less aggressive compound cleans up the damage left behind by more aggressive compound. With the Adam's line, that clean up product is FMP, unless you start with Severe Swirl Remover. Then that clean up product is SHR, followed by FMP. You step the previous damage down using a less intrusive product. Wet sanding also follows this procedure.

This is why over the counter products are not all that good. They attempt to recreate the multiple step success of boutique products in one bottle, and most do a lousy job at it. Any product that is going to actually remove damage from paint will follow this multi-step process.

I'm glad you compared this to your photography equipment. You thoroughly understand that there is junk on the market and most folks don't know the good from the bad. The only thing those in the dark care about is price. Thus, there is plenty of crap on the photography market that caters to those who don't know better.

I used a very inexpensive Canon SX10IS to shoot these before and after shots. You need a camera with a manual mode to get shots like this so I didn't go shopping at Walmart for my camera.

thompson_clinic7.jpg

thompson_clinic11.jpg

The same goes for the results that you see. These results were after 2 passes of SHR and FMP using a Flex polisher. You will not get these kinds of results as quick using some OTC product. Technique is also just as important as what you are using and technique takes practice. It also helps to watch someone who has a very good technique. Reading how to do it and watching how to do it are two, totally different things.

This should clear up the questions you have.

Thanks Junkman. So in your opinion would I just stick with one product after the FMP application, either MSW or the Americana? No glaze at this time. My goal is to get that deep wet look as I'm hitting several car shows this year.

Thanks Junkman. So in your opinion would I just stick with one product after the FMP application, either MSW or the Americana? No glaze at this time. My goal is to get that deep wet look as I'm hitting several car shows this year.

The less you do with wax, the less possibility you will have of clouding up the shine. I am all for simplicity when I am new at something. When you throw in 20 variables, you have 20 opportunities to screw it up.

Anyway, wax is a protectant. It is not going to make the paint shine anymore than it does once you have finished polishing it. Some waxes may slightly change the appearance of your paint but the shine comes from polishing. MSW or Americana are sufficient by themselves. No need to get fancy until you learn the characteristics of each product.

KISS is your friend. :thumbsup:

Archived