Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help me pick out a DSLR Camera...

Chewy

Don't worry about megapixels.......it's sensor size that's more important. You could have a bazillion megapixels but if the sensor isnt big enough to handle them they are worthless. MP should be way down on the list of requirements.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't worry about megapixels.......it's sensor size that's more important. You could have a bazillion megapixels but if the sensor isnt big enough to handle them they are worthless. MP should be way down on the list of requirements.

True dat! My iPhone has a 5mp camera that owns many 8mp camera phones.

I LOVE my Nikon D3100.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

DSLR is much more advanced that the point and shoot.

You just have to first pick a brand...

then decide what camera you want/can afford.

--

I got the Nikon D90 which is one of the better "beginner" dslr's out there and worth every penny.

DSLR is much more advanced that the point and shoot.

You just have to first pick a brand...

then decide what camera you want/can afford.

--

I got the Nikon D90 which is one of the better "beginner" dslr's out there and worth every penny.

It would be my first DSLR camera. Does it record videos?

Yes it records.

I can tell you that going from a point and shoot to DSLR is very intimidating but well worth the effort!!!!

This is a very new challenge for me. I've had my camera for a week. LOL

The D5000 is a step down from the D90 from what I could read.

I really depends on what you want/need.

Here is a side by side comparison showing pictures.

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-D5000-D90-Compared-to-Canon-Rebel-T1i-500D.shtml

Not sure what specs people were looking at when you looked at the 5000 and the 3100, but I can't agree with the 3100 being less than the 5000. I believe the 5000 has one thing the 3100 doesn't and it's not something most use.

You have to ask yourself some questions. Like what are you going to be doing with it.

Are you looking to become a photog? The only reason I didn't get the 5000 is because Nikon is coming out with a new one soon D5100 or whatever they end up calling it. The swivel screen is neat, but I VERY VERY seldom use it when taking a picture. I look through the view finder. You get a steadier shot doing so. Also, my D3100 takes 1080P NOT (I) video. I've used it, and it DOES work, but it isn't a video recorder.

The D3100 has the latest Expeed2 image processing engine, and other things the D5000 doesn't have due to it being older. The D3100 is as easy as pie to use. I use mine in manual mode so I do all the setting, but my wife uses it in auto and she loves it too.

Please make sure you check out the Nikon site and do your homework before buying.

Also understand that not all SD cards are created equal. They have different classes of cards and some manufacturers say they meet a class but they in fact don't. Use Nikon specified card manufacturers only or one that a professional recommends.

http://www.nikon.com/

Chris

• 11 months later...

I saw a great answer to this question yesterday on NAPP.

because all camera's take great pictures these days you should

get what your friends have, so you can borrow their lens.

The other part was go to a good store and hold a bunch of different

camera's. See which one's just feel good in your hands. If it feels

good it will inspire you.

:iagree:

Also holding the cameras and working through the settings, each brand has a different user interface and some of them are more intuitive than others.

:cheers:

^^^ Also agreed, i have a few photography friends and just got and i picked up a rebel xsi a while back. Thing is if i want to use their nice fisheye lenses and such they still fit my camera, and i dont have to go out and but a $1-2000 lens. A dinner and some beers and were squared up :D haha

I know this thread is a little old but Im currently shopping for DSLR and im between the Nikon D5100 and the Canon T3i, Im also hoping to have it by May before the detailing clinic at Thompson Racing. I like the Nikon better so far because:

1) the menus are better and it shows you different pictures next to the settings to kinda show you the difference in the picture between the different settings

2) it feels great in my hand

3) it's more compact and actually looks better and cleaner, especially from the backside.

4) It has an autofocus mode when shooting video

5) picture quality is unreal

What do you guys think?

Archived