Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help me pick out a DSLR Camera...

Chewy

oh, I was looking on the Nikon site for kits.

LOL

I have a friend who is going to see if he can get it on aes exchange or something? (Navy store) and if so, I'll get it there. If not, I'll try one of the sites Dylan posted.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there something specific you will be using it for ? Taking pictures of kids running around a soccer field or cars or pets ? That can help narrow down the type of kits to look at, specifically the different lenses.

Brandi, you are going to love the D90!

If you ever think you are going to take your camera and laptop with you when you travel might I suggest the Lowepro Pro Runner 350 AW Backpack. I bought one when I got my camera I really love it and, it is has a waterproof cover.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672935-REG/Lowepro_LP36144_PEU_Pro_Runner_350_AW.html

So you can easily get away with a wide-angle lens. If you're wanting to stay within a reasonable budget the D90 + kit lens is a killer combo.

I was interested in doing rolling shots a while back, but gave it up when I realized how much a quality rig costs. :( (Not to mention you really need a wide wide angle lens for larger vehicles like ours.

edit to add:

http://www.ob-photo.com/2008/08/Oliver-Bentley/helpful-article-everything-you-need-to-know-about-rigshots/

http://jeffcreech.com/blog/?p=368

You will be more than happy with the kit lens. It takes amazing pictures.

If you ever want to do rolling shots using a car-mounted rig, you'd have to upgrade to a wide angle lens, especially with a large vehicle. Something between 10 and 15mm. If I got one for my truck, it would probably be the 12-24mm. The 10mm is more of a fisheye and would distort certain parts of the picture.

The wider the lens, the shorter the boom required, and in turn the more stable the setup.

edit: This convo peaked my interest again, so I checked the price on a Sigma 10-20mm, which is a great option for rig shots. It's currently under $500 on Amazon. I'm very tempted.

Double post, but if you ever want to get an idea of the quality of a lens, check out Flickr. Search the lens and click "Groups". Generally there is a big group for the lens you're looking at, and they will post pictures to that group using only that lens.

Example: D90+Kit Lens Group

Double post, but if you ever want to get an idea of the quality of a lens, check out Flickr. Search the lens and click "Groups". Generally there is a big group for the lens you're looking at, and they will post pictures to that group using only that lens.

Example: D90+Kit Lens Group

That's a cool site, thanks for the link :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Bill, Matt & Fred! :) :)

:patriot:

That's a cool site, thanks for the link :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:cheers:

Flickr is where I host all my pictures. I pay the $24/year for the Pro, unlimited account. The difference in quality is amazing between it and say, Photobucket.

Photobucket on top, Flickr on bottom. You can tell a difference by simply looking at their faces. It's not super-drastic, but it's noticeable.

DSC_1855.jpg

5497949305_491a610e66_b.jpg

FWIW - I have the 300s... one of the cameras you eliminated based on price, but I had the 90 before that and couldn't find a bad thing about it. Lenses is where you're going to really start to upgrade your body. Get yourself a decent camera body and invest more serious money into a good lens. I'm running an 18-200mm VRII Nikkor lens.

I have a D5000 and I want that lens badly, but will have to wait...

There has been a rumor that Nikon would release a 17-60 F2.8 VR lens. I am waiting....

That would be amazing. I had the 17-55mm f/2.8 for about a year, but sold it literally last week. Amazing lens but I couldn't justify having it at the moment. They hold their value really well.

If the 17-55 is updated with a 17-60 + VR.....I would be all over it. camera_smiley.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I got it!!!!!!

Nikon D90

There was a bundle package sale going on and here is what I got for right at 1200.00

Nikon D90

Polarizer lens

Extra batter

Extra 4gb memory chip

55-200mm lens

18-105 mm lens

Carry bag

I am opening the boxes but I had to share with you guys since you were all a part of the process!!!!

So i've been reading this thread, and I to am looking for a decent camera. Right now i just have a 10mp pentax. Its a great camera but its out dated,the batteries dont hold there charge(I could buy new batteries, but I'd probably spend more on the batteries then the cameras worth), and I want something that will take high resolution pics.

Im looking for something in the 14mp range, not to big/heavy, easy to use, takes videos, hi def/high resolutions. Any suggestions?

Archived