Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help me pick out a DSLR Camera...

Chewy

Ugh... getting my gear packed up for Scottsdale and my DSLR bag just popped a seem at the bottom. Problem is now calling around, no one has the lowepro bag I want/need to carry my gear plus a laptop in one piece for carry on.

I hate having to check bags, but between laptop bag, camera bag, and cloths looks like I'm going to have to. :mad:

Adams detail bag! BAM! Lens slip into elastic and all! lol

I have a camera bag now, which I hope will work for the time being.

My plan is to pack the bag into my luggage and carry on the camera and lenses when I go to FL in a couple of weeks.

Chris

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with the money I have tied up in this thing I'm really particular about how it travels.

I want/need the lowepro fastpack 250... problem is no one stocks them locally and to have it overnighted from BH to here is almost $60... more than half the price of the bag!! YIKES!!

0905_Fastpack_250_Stuffed_380_0.jpg

with the money I have tied up in this thing I'm really particular about how it travels.

I want/need the lowepro fastpack 250... problem is no one stocks them locally and to have it overnighted from BH to here is almost $60... more than half the price of the bag!! YIKES!!

0905_Fastpack_250_Stuffed_380_0.jpg

Oh hell... I need me one of those... :drool:

Heck with the Adams bag! lol

75 bucks on Amazon!

Chris

We've seen some of your photos. What are you using? P&S?

Almost....LOL

Actually it is a pretty nice little rig. The Casio Exilim fh-20.

http://www.casio.com/products/Cameras/EXILIM_High-Speed/EX-FH20/

But I grew up on 35mm SLRs. My dad bought a Canon FTb in '71 after he finished the original "CSI" course in Ottawa. They called it the Ident Course then. He fell in love with taking good pics and that camera was a big layout for a cop in 1971!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_FTb

So I got to grow up, figuring out different lenses, filters, flash effects etc.

I've got the Pentax K-x with 16-55 & 55-300. It uses 4x AA batteries, I've got Sanyo Eneloops (http://www.slrlounge.com/equipment-review-rechargable-batteries-sanyo-eneloop) I keep a spare set in case I need them and I can always pop into a shop if needed. No worries about proprietary batteries running out / not having a charger or no where to charge it.

Camera review site.

http://www.dpreview.com/

My Nikon came in today... Going to the gym tonight and then home to play/learn my camera. My wife will be a Nikon widow for a while...

Chris

Why make her a Nikon widow? You could have some fun by making her into a model. :cheers:

+1

That's why I got mine!

Which one? Wife, child or camera? :lolsmack:

Ditto! My wife wants NOTHING to do with modeling. Remember she had a baby 4 months ago. Not quite happy with her body yet. ;)

So I got it and played with it some... I am ONLY using it in manual mode so it'll take some practice to get proficient at setting it correctly.

All in all an amazing camera with an amazingly simple to use interface. I like how it has a ton of manual switches like the bigger higher dollar bodies do. It takes less time to make changes.

• 1 month later...

Reviving a dead thread, I know....

But I wanted to post up that I am going to get the Nikon D90.

Right now I am trying to figure out the difference in the MM lenses.

I know I want a polarized lens but there are different MM sizes.

I guess I also need some sort of adapter for the lens to go on?

This is a WHOLE new world for me. LOL

You will love the D90 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Most kits come with an 18-105 MM NIKKOR lens, it is a really good all around lens. Then you just need to get a decent filter for it. It is good protection for the glass in your lens :rockon:

You just need to make sure you get the correct filer size for your lens. My 18-200 MM lens takes a 72 MM filter. If you are buying it as a kit you can look up the lens on this site, it will specify what size filter you need.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Camera-Lenses/index.page

Or just tell me what you are getting and I'll look it up for you :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dylan/Brandi, I'd highly suggest picking up that Fastpack. I have the exact same one (LowePro Fastpack 250) and absolutely love it. It is well worth the money. The top section has a ton of room and the laptop sleeve easily fits my 15.6" in it without issues. Very comfortable.

As for camera gear and what you can fit, this is everything I put in the main section:

-D300s with 17-55mm f/2.8 mounted (this goes in the front so I can sling the backpack over one arm and pull the camera out quickly)

-70-300mm

-50mm

-SB-600

-Filters for all three lenses

-Reverse-mount for 50mm

-Wireless remote + attachments

Plenty of room for all that, and I could easily fit more if I wanted to cram it in. Great, great backpack. I use it every time I go hiking or traveling.

The only downside is that it's not waterproof, but that wasn't a deal breaker for me as I usually don't hike or take pictures in the rain. :thumbsup:

Kits?

Your link just makes me want to go put my head in a toilet. HAHAHA

I have to learn a heck of a lot about this stuff. I've always been a Canon - no lenses/filters kind of person.

I haven't bought anything yet but I know I am going to get the D90.

Does the D90 come with anything other than the camera, battery, & charger?

I'm so confused

:willy:

You can get just the body, which should include a battery & charger. If you're wanting to stay fairly within a budget starting out, a kit is a great way to go. One of the most popular kits for the D90 is the 18-105mm + 70-300mm combo. That covers a very wide zoom range, and both lenses are great starter lenses.

I started out with the kit I mentioned above (D90/Kit lens/70-300). I destroyed my 18-105mm (long story...) but still use the 70-300mm on my D300s. Upgraded/replaced the kit lens. The only reason I haven't upgraded the telephoto lens is because the good ones are around $2000K.....and I can't justify that right now. :help:

You don't need circular polarizers or filters, but they can make landscape/scenery pictures beautiful if you know how to use it. As Bill mentioned, just match up the filter size from Nikon's website to find the right circular polarizer size.

The other good thing about a filter is if you scratch a $30 filter oh well, you buy another $30 filter :D:D

If you put a scratch in the glass on a $700 lens then you need to buy a new $700 lens :(:(

True. So don't scratch the lens. :jester:

Kidding. That is a good benefit. Really the only thing I don't like about filters (specifically polarizers) is that they really decrease the amount of light the camera can pull in. If you have a kit/cheap lens and try to do nature photography in lower lighting it probably won't happen without a stable tripod. I rarely used mine.

Archived