Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning Up a New Set of Tires

Team Adam's

The wifes 2008 Equinox was due for new tires so I called up my guy a HTW and ended up driving over this morning to get her outfitted with new rubber for about $300 less than what the chain stores, costco, etc were charging. Big thanks to Tony @ HTW for yet another hookup!

Anyways, get home as as they usually do the new tires looked horrible. They were coated with something that resembled tire dressing, but more brownish and sticky. Plus the wheels were dirty when I took it in so the fingerprints and stuff from the installers were still there.

28d8c3de.jpg

f9c452e3.jpg

So out come the supplies... wasn't going to do a full wash since theres rain in tonights forecast, but that doesn't mean I can't start these tires out right. Filled my bucket with a couple of ounces of Car Wash and water, and set my brushes in to soak.

f35b55ec.jpg

Started by blasting the tires and wheels down. I knew the gunk that was on the rubber would take a few rounds to get off so I started by spraying full strength APC on the rubber and just letting it soak

9efaf7f4.jpg

14cf12a3.jpg

While the APC ran down the tires taking gunk with it I started on the wheels, the barrels were soaked with Green Wheel Cleaner and I gave the powerstick a run

eee566a9.jpg

Next the wheels themselves got some love, I was sure to rinse my brushes in the soapy bucket between each use

c439c9bb.jpg

Lug brush made short work of the tight spaces

e6ecd64e.jpg

I then resoaked the tires with more full strength APC as well as the fender lining and went to work with the fender brush

3f67777e.jpg

f7d52c74.jpg

Hosed the wheel down really well with a strong stream from the fire hose nozzle, then pulled out the blaster sidekick to make the drying go a little faster. Its perfect for getting water out of the lug holes as well as all the little ribs on the tire sidewall.

6513075d.jpg

Waterless Wash and a Waterless Wash towel to dry the rest

e859f21c.jpg

Wheels looked decent at this point, but the tires were chalky and dry now

5472ce59.jpg

8419dade.jpg

DA DA DA DAAAAAAAAA!! SUPER VRT TO THE RESCUE!!!

526f6aee.jpg

One quick application and it immediately looked 100x better

b85c2b49.jpg

6e01d368.jpg

But now I had these perfect tires and the rims were only 'so so'... guess I could spend some time with Metal Polish #2 to brighten them up

a48bcac6.jpg

Being chrome theres no black transfer, but polishing with #2 will definitely shine them up nice

b3775e59.jpg

Removed the polish with an edgless utility towel

2a91d469.jpg

BOOYA!!! Much better!!

91e65ae9.jpg

c6418fe9.jpg

Might as well go all the way if I went to the trouble of polishing them, I should protect them right?

ed19585e.jpg

About a dime sized blob is perfect, I like to spread it out by folding the app in on itself that way you don't get too much in one spot

1ee3d354.jpg

aa0a145f.jpg

Applied a nice thin coat to the wheels and then waited about 45 minutes to let it cure.

ad582bf3.jpg

The Machine Superwax residue came off nice and clean with a doublesoft and these wheels were shining like never before!

42c08c5e.jpg

cc9d1d6a.jpg

9807a47a.jpg

1ce14ba6.jpg

93e066b1.jpg

b9b0c381.jpg

When you can read the label in the reflection you know its good!

14bcf336.jpg

And I'm required by law to have a thumbs up in every writeup! :jester:

e124afae.jpg

Thanks for looking. :cheers:

Yea, I went with Kumhos again... I've really loved the 22's I have on the Avalanche, plus the company HQ is in the same city I live in (rancho cucamonga) so thats kind of cool.

These are their 60k mile light SUV tire. Driving home they felt nice and with my wife driving 30 miles each way to work everyday a good tire is a must for her.

Yea, I went with Kumhos again... I've really loved the 22's I have on the Avalanche, plus the company HQ is in the same city I live in (rancho cucamonga) so thats kind of cool.

These are their 60k mile light SUV tire. Driving home they felt nice and with my wife driving 30 miles each way to work everyday a good tire is a must for her.

I hear ya! I have Hankooks on my F150 and love them. I'm going to get a set on my G8 when they're needed. Heck... Hankooks are OEM on many Fords now.

It's too bad, but Kumho and Hankooks are good tires for not a LOT of money.

Chris

I've got no problem giving my money to Kumho, HQ in the US and broke ground on a $200 million tire manufacturing facility in Georgia a couple years back. They make their tires currently in Korea, but will be shifting something like 40% of their manufacturing here to the US so I'm all for it! With so many other companies leaving the US, they're moving here. I think Cooper is the only other one anymore.

Dylan enquirering minds want to know, what is the thing in your bucket with the black handle? I see three handles, boars hair brush, fender brush, and the black handle.

I noticed that before and was kinda wondering the same thing

Dylan enquirering minds want to know, what is the thing in your bucket with the black handle? I see three handles, boars hair brush, fender brush, and the black handle.

I think that's the stick he uses to beat off his neighbors when they come over and ask, "hey, you gonna do my car next?"

For anyone who doesn't have a powerstick, they are AMAZING !!!!!

Yeah man I agree 100000000000%.

I picked up one recently when the new MP #2 came out. I can't believe the successes I have had and the ease of use! IT does ALL the work! Plus, my knuckles are bruised and bloodied no longer having to reach to get the barrels. :thumbsup:

Yeah man I agree 100000000000%.

I picked up one recently when the new MP #2 came out. I can't believe the successes I have had and the ease of use! IT does ALL the work! Plus, my knuckles are bruised and bloodied anymore having to reach to get the barrels. :thumbsup:

I started my spring cleanup yesterday and I can't help but laugh every time I do my wheels now, I used to hate doing wheels but I used the same process that Dylan just posted and it was quick and painless :rockon::rockon::rockon:

I started my spring cleanup yesterday and I can't help but laugh every time I do my wheels now, I used to hate doing wheels but I used the same process that Dylan just posted and it was quick and painless :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Do you make little sounds while your powerstick is killing it? Like when you were a kid playing cars?

I don't know why but I caught myself doing it. Then LOLd.

:lolsmack::lolsmack:

Do you make little sounds while your powerstick is killing it? Like when you were a kid playing cars?

I don't know why but I caught myself doing it. Then LOLd.

:lolsmack::lolsmack:

Ummm, no. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :lolsmack:

Archived