Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help me pick out a DSLR Camera...

Chewy

Ok I know where Dylan stands on this subject and he's MORE then welcome to add more to this.

I have jumped on to several different sites over the past 6 months to buy a digital camera and have NEVER been able to take the plunge.

I have a Nikon SLR now with a couple of older non VR (vibe reduction) lens's and I always loved it. I haven't used it in probably 9 years though. :o

With my infant son, I am now looking to get something that takes better pictures.

What I've looked at so far is purely Nikon because it's what I know but that's not much actually. The D3100, D5000, and D90 were the ones I looked at. Honestly, the 3100 and 5000 are in the price range I think I want to buy.

Any help you can offer me with Pentax, Canon, Lumix, or any other is MUCH appreciated.

I'm looking for a "I have XXXX and I like it" as well as for pro's and cons of each.

The reason I stuck to Nikon is because my lens's will fit, but they won't have auto focus or VR, unless I step up to the D90 which has a AF motor built in, but they still wouldn't have VR. So I'm thinking maybe a complete change is prudent, if I can get more bang for my buck with another brand.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Chris

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very interested to see the replies on this. I am going to be pulling the trigger sometime this year for a DSLR. I have been a Canon girl at heart....but I am willing to go the Nikon route if it's a better bang for the buck.

--

I have subscribed! :)

I bought a Nikon D90 in April of last year and I absolutely love it. It is easy to use and the reviews on it are very good. We wound up spending about $3K for the camera, base lens and a wide angle lens and extended warranties. The picture below was taken with it using the wide angle lens.

I have a Nikon D90 and really liked it over the Canon's when I was shopping. I liked the body when I held it, menus were nice, LCD was bright/high rez, and seemed to feel better (lenses had some a nice feel).

Performance wise either can take great picture.

Ok so here's what I have for lens's. Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 G

Nikon AF 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 D

Nikon Nikkor 30-60 1:4-5.6. non AF and much older than the other two.

I'm wondering if I get the D90 body, if they'll work. I think I need to make some calls... Unless someone knows.

Chris

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Chris, those are two that I'm looking at too. Dylan, talked me into those. The D5000 has the flip LCD screen. But I think the D3100 has an auto focus when doing movies. There are a lot of pro's and con's to each one.

I hear you on getting a nice camera for taking pictures of the kids. Every 6 months were having pictures done.....and it is isn't cheap. I'm trying to tell my wife that the price of the camera will pay for itself in 2 years. Plus, you can take really nice pictures of your car. :)

Ok well I found a cross reference that says my lenses will work so I broke down and bought the 3100. It was 629 bucks delivered. I'm sure I'll like it. It came with one 18-55mm VR lens as well. If anything it'll be a great starter camera.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

:willy:

Ok, so I went window shopping on the Nikon site.

I would like to say I know what I want but I do not!

Right now I have a 15mp Canon camera.

I honestly don't think I need more than that for the DSLR. Please correct me if I am wrong on that front.

So there are 9 DSLR's

6 DSLR's are within the MP I think I need

D90 - 12.3 mp 4.5 fps - $900.00

D3100 - 14.2 mp 3 fps - $700.00

D5000 - 12.3 mp 4 fps - $630.00

D300s - 12.3 mp 7-8 fps - $1,700.00

D3S - 12.3 mp 9 fps - $5,000.00

D700 - 12.1 mp doesn't mention fps - $2,700.00

I have eliminated the BOLD based on price alone. :(

Time for bed...but now I have pretty much been convinced to switch to Nikon when I am ready for the next camera. I just have to choose between those top three and pull the trigger at tax time....that is unless I get to the PA clinic and spend it there!

:lolsmack:

I'm extremely happy with my D5000. I got the kit with a 18-55mm nikkor and a 70-200mm nikkor both with VR. It's really nice to be shooting some pics and flip over and shoot some video. I do however long for a autofocus for the video, and it's time to autofocus can be upwards of 1 full second. That can cause the perfect kid picture to be gone forever, however once it's focused the 4fps is a welcome feature. I have taken some amazing photos with it in the month that I've had it. The D3100 has better video features than the D5000, but I have a panasonic HD camcorder that is dedicated to video, so the D5000 was the way to go for me... Pics to follow when I'm not on my iPhone.

Chewy - those lenses will kind of limit your picture taking options, I'd stick with an 18-55mm if you're only going to have one lens. Get some broader options if you find yourself in situation where a long zoom or needing to do macro work.

Brandi - in DSLR's don't get hung up on megapixels... MP's are a way for point and shoot cameras to somewhat falsely inflate the quality of the images the cameras take. A DSLR rated at the fraction of the MP of a point and shoot will take much HIGHER quality images.

FWIW - I have the 300s... one of the cameras you eliminated based on price, but I had the 90 before that and couldn't find a bad thing about it. Lenses is where you're going to really start to upgrade your body. Get yourself a decent camera body and invest more serious money into a good lens. I'm running an 18-200mm VRII Nikkor lens.

Archived